We Are Hiring an Education Programs Manager!
Hours: 20 – 30 a week (we definitely can provide a 30 hour workload, but if you would rather work 20 hours we can accommodate), flexible schedule with the exception of fixed teaching commitments
Pay: Starts at $24 – $28 an hour depending on background & experience
Location: Virtual except when implementing in person youth programs in Anchorage & beyond
Deadline to apply: 29th of July, 2022
Start date: August 10th, 2022 (this is a flexible date, but is our target start-date)
Required: Background check & Mandatory Reporter Training (we will support after hiring)
Ideal Candidate: Someone Anchorage-based with a background in culturally responsive education, willing and excited to travel to villages throughout Alaska, and comfortable learning new technology. Experience in curriculum design and project management is a plus.
Contact with Questions: Email See Stories’ Director Marie (email@example.com) with any questions you have about this job opening.
Organizational values: You can read about our work and values on our website and socials, but we strive to live our mission to build inclusive communities with film and story not only with the students and teachers we engage, but also with our staff. We always strive to honor and support our employees’ schedules and other commitments, professional goals, and mental health.
Job description overview: See Stories’ Education Program Manager will primarily manage and instruct youth film and podcast education programs in Anchorage & throughout Alaska. The Education Program Manager reports to and works closely with See Stories’ Director, and will collaborate with other staff. We are seeking someone who lives in or around Anchorage on Dena’ina land as many of our youth education programs are located here, as well as someone open and excited to travel around the state to implement workshops for 2 week intensives. We are seeking someone to work an average of 20 – 30 hours a week (both depending on work-load, and the needs of the person who gets this job), and when traveling for work to lead workshops, this would be a 40 hour a week position. The pay range for this position starts at $24 – $28 an hour depending on background & experience. This job is ideal for someone who is passionate about education but seeking a role outside of the school system, willing to learn new technology skills, and who has strong culturally-responsive education skills.
Leading Youth Film & Podcast Workshops
See Stories leads ~10 youth film and podcast workshops annually that each last ~2 months, whether they are virtual or in-person after school (some are 1 – 2 week intensives). While our workshops are technology focused, we are seeking an EDUCATOR who either is comfortable with digital technology or willing to learn. If you are not skilled at film or media we can train you in those things. The Education Program Manager will:
- Lead / teach film and podcasting workshops after a training period
- Learn the digital technology skills for film and podcasting
- Liaise with program partners to co-teach and co-plan when collaborating
- Engage in culturally responsive best-practices
- Gather release forms
- Manage workshop follow-up, from uploading youth products to our website to implementing post-workshop surveys
- Strategize about annual youth programs plan
Manage Subcontractors’ Youth Workshop Implementation
See Stories is starting a new initiative in which we train teachers around Alaska and support them to implement podcasting & digital storytelling programs at their schools. The Education Program Manager would support this initiative in the following ways:
- Serve as point of contact for educators to address questions that arise as they implement workshops in their communities
- Ensuring that educators gather release forms from participating students
- Leading weekly group check-in meetings with educators to support them with their implementation while their classes are active
See Stories is in a period of growth, and in the past year has grown from a staff of one and a board of three to a staff of four and a board of nine. See Stories Founder / Director has been implementing film and podcast workshops single-handedly, and much of the curriculum lives in her head rather than in a designed format (to be completely honest). It’s time for that to change! The Education Program Manager will support with the following:
- Collaborating with See Stories Director to create a digital / print curriculum handbook that can serve anyone who would like to lead a film or podcasting workshop
- Editing curriculum based upon feedback from relevant stakeholders
- Liaising with See Stories’ Marketing Manager to design / layout the curriculum in an aesthetic and accessible manager
Other Duties as Assigned & Inspired
- Engage in passion projects that support See Stories’ mission (with Director approval). The Education Program Manager is welcome and encouraged to initiate ideas for workshops that match their passion and skill-set.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this position, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 29th:
- Cover Letter / Letter of Intent
- ~1 minute video of you sharing about why you are applying for this position (video production quality does not matter for this portion of the application)
- Resume (1 – 2 pages)
- What your ideal job title would be (we can stick to “Education Programs Manager,” but you’re welcome to make suggestions to align with your vision)
- A list of two references that we can email / call to learn more about your experience